PHILADELPHIA CATHOLIC LEAGUE

Cross country league records from 1944 to the present

In the spring of 1920 the Philadelphia Catholic League was formed as youth competitive youth organization for the few Catholic school in and around the city of Philadelphia. Founded by the now immenient, Monsignor Bonner, an Augustinian monk, on the porch of Villanova Augustinian Academy (which is now called 'Alumni Hall' and part of Villanova University campus  since the preparatory school moved to down the street to Malvern in 1923, becoming what is now Malvern Prep).

The five original regional Catholic schools that were members of the league were namely: St. Joseph's Preparatory, LaSalle College High School, Villanova Augustinian Academy, West Philadelphia Catholic High School and Roman Catholic High School. In the years following the league's founding other schools would be built to accommodate the region's growing need for High Schools. Salesianium Catholic High School in Delaware was admitted to the league in the fall of 1922. The Order of Saint Francis De Sales  would open Northeast Catholic High School  four years later in 1926, followed its counter part in south Philadelphia, namely South Catholic High School (which is currently called Neumann-Goretti after several name changes)  in 1935. Saint John's Catholic High school in New Jersey was admitted in 1935, Saint Thomas More Catholic High School  would open in 1937 and be admitted as well, followed by Saint James in Chester in 1943.

 The original three sports the league presided over were football in the fall, basketball in the winter and baseball in the spring. In the spring of 1944, after the majority of the fear of shutting down athletics to help support the war effort had subsided, the league made a decision to expand the range of league sports incorporating, Track in the spring, wrestling in the winter and Cross-Country in the fall.

Since that time, the league has experienced a significant growth in regards to membership. They following are schools, past and present, who have been members of the league and participated:

DSC_2860 Saint James Catholic High School 1944-1993
Saint Joseph's Preparatory School 1944-Present
South Philadelphia Catholic High School 1944-1953
LaSalle College High school 1944-Present
DSC_0262 West Philadelphia Catholic High School 1944-Present
Northeast Philadelphia Catholic High School 1944-Present
DSC_2869 Roman Catholic High School 1944-Prsent
Saint Thomas More High School 1944-1975
DSC_2871 Saint John Neumann High School 1953-2004
Father Judge High School 1954-Present
Monsignor Bonner High School 1955-Present
Cardinal Dougherty High School 1956-Present
Bishop Egan High School 1957-1993
Cardinal O'Hara High School 1963-Present
Archbishop Wood High School 1964-Present
Archbishop Ryan High School 1966-Present
DSC_3074 Archbishop Carroll High School 1967-Present
Conwell-Egan High School 1993-Present
  Neumann-Goretti High School  2004-Present
  Bishop McDevitt Catholic High School 1958-
  Archbishop Kennedy Catholic High School 1963-1993
  Kennedy-Kendrick Catholic High School 1993-
Valid XHTML 1.0!